A Love Letter to the Kentucky State Fair


To Whom it May Concern:

We only meet once a year, but every time we reconnect it's as though time stood still. I have talked about you as though you were my own, yet I am forced to share you with thousands of others. A once-a-year commitment for 20+ years is the best relationship I've ever had, and I just wanted to say thank you.

I am easily seduced by your gluttonous charm. A beer in my right hand and deep friend Girl Scout cookies in my left, my heart becomes full (with empty, glorious calories.) I am drawn to you because of your ability to make me feel. I cannot hate or judge while I'm with you. Everything is as it should be.

I am a human being. I am surrounded by other human beings with the same purpose. It is a chance to experience a type of constrained freedom, that is at once beautiful and tragic, like a white trash Sofia Coppola film. Perhaps I only see you the way I want to see you and not as you actually are. But in my eyes you are faithful, honest, and brave.

Although you have had millions of civilians (I couldn't help myself) over the years, I do hope you hold a spot in your heart for me as I for you. Don't change, well except for that whole cheeseburger in between two doughnuts thing...

Lurve,
LC

PS: you still owe me for losing a tooth while eating a corn dog when I was -- years old.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Cool

Spicy Chicken Wings Gave Me Herpes?

Ten