The Loneliness of a Long Distance Exit

Two months left here. The loneliness has become less romantic and more of a stark reality. Sunday nights are when I feel it the most. A day for family, home cooked meals, lazily drinking wine, being with the boyfriend...makes me realize how important people are.

One of my favorite book quotes is the very last line of Catcher in the Rye,

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."


One of the only ways I've been able to survive here is by telling myself to take things one day at a time. By inflicting this upon my impatient brain, the time has managed to move by quickly. I realize I am not in the middle of a desert or stuck in Siberia, but I still feel isolated. I want to be adventurous, but you can't be adventurous in West Virginia alone. I look outside and try to think of what I could be doing and realize I have no one to go hiking with. I need a city. I crave Louisville. I want the freedom and safety of Cherokee Park. I miss friendly conversations sitting around a table with pints of micro-brewed beer. But why complain about mediocre loneliness when Japan is falling apart?


This was a successful weekend though, time mostly spent in the kitchen. I made my first loaves of bread, whole wheat, using a recipe from Joy of Cooking. It paired wonderfully with the Beer Cheese Soup I made from an online recipe. That was Friday. Saturday was beer and leftovers. Sunday morning was pancakes and turkey bacon...and beer.

In other good news, apparently Fluffy Dougie turned 42 this week, according to a sign I drove past this weekend. I have no idea who this is, but the name alone is worth an honorary mention.


Smashing Pumpkins "1979" got a lot of plays in my car this week. Probably one of my favorite music videos of all time.

Comments

  1. I think its great you made bread. I would like to learn how to do that for sure. I don't even know where to begin :)

    and that sign is hilarious. funny sign I saw in indiana "hill blocks view". hilarious.

    I miss pancakes/ louisville/ good beer.

    have a good weeeeeekend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Body in Six Pieces

Spicy Chicken Wings Gave Me Herpes?

"you were pretty out of it."