#11

I cannot get The Replacements "Here Comes a Regular" out of my head. I worked in a local coffee shop for close to five years, and this song would pop into my head constantly. When I was home for the weekend, I was explaining to someone what I am doing here in WV. As I began talking about the non-profit organization, which helps with low-income and poverty stricken people in this particular county, I mentioned that one of the most popular programs is the bread & soup express. People can come in twice a week and get food for their families. I casually mentioned that it's mostly a lot of the same people each week. Regulars, if you will. My mind flip-flopped to the coffee shop and how baristas use this word to identify daily customers with deep caffeine-afflicted pockets.

One word. Two different worlds. Basic needs versus expensive habits. While coffee certainly fits in the category of "basic needs" for a lot of people (including yours truly), it has become an over-thinking obsession. We take for granted the simple fact that we have so many options. We have more options for what to do with our cup of coffee than a lot of people have in order to get their basic needs met.

"Give me a, uh, large vanilla cappucino, skinny, extra shot, wet, half the syrup, 3 splendas, extra hot, no lid..." Sir, I'd really rather give you a cup of shut-the-fuck-up.

I believe that no one should have to apologize for who they are and how they live. Our living conditions are a way of telling us how we define the "necessities" for our lives. We should all take the time during our lives to figure out what these necessities are and how they can change. Some of the things we found necessary in college have probably changed. Albeit, late night burritos are still fabulous....but somehow more alluring the night before a final exam while you've been drinking. Procrastination sure tastes great.

Since May, I have noticed that the "regulars" coming in for food tend to have a better grasp of gratitude and graciousness than some of the coffee customers. The difference between needing food and indulging on a $5 cup of coffee is vast. Human decency and politeness have nothing to do with class, race, status, wealth, etc...There are no coffee drive-thrus here. No blue tooths, well okay I've seen a few. No iPads. Things are simple(r) here. While there are problems, at the end of the day at least someone will ask you how you are doing.

Show of the week: The Office Season 6

Albums of the week: Lucinda Williams Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Beach House Teen Dream


Fashion Fave:





Comments

  1. I LOVE the fashion show at the end of Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead. Everyone acts like them hiding a corpse and not notifying the authorities was no biggie. SIIIICK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spicy Chicken Wings Gave Me Herpes?

Too Cool

A Difficult Woman